I think they look great as individual prints, but as a pair, they match up really well and look twice as great! Would go really well in the kid’s play room.
Okay, okay, so I did say that 2012 was going to be the year I do more painting and this is technically not a painting, but the creative process was very similar in terms of positioning and re-positioning colors and considering the positive and negative shapes. I used 26 different designs of fabric, one for each letter of the alphabet, and 20 different fabric designs for numbers 1 to 20.
It took me a whole weekend to finally settle on the patchwork alphabet pictured here as I made 2 other versions with different fabric combinations. One of the other versions was set against some onasburg cotton (you can see a part of it in the picture below) as I thought the textured background would be more interesting. As it turned out, it did look more interesting and also too busy. The letters were harder to distinguish and for a baby trying the learn the alphabet, I thought it would be better to go with the white background.
The aftermath of my weekend of cutting out letters and numbers out of bits of fabric and the other 2 versions of my patchwork alphabet.